Free TON

Blockchain Use Cases and Innovation in Africa Least Developed Countries: - Africa Blockchain Institute and Free TON Collaborative Research

Premise

Blockchain technology has been ranked as one of the most revolutionary technologies of the fourth industrial revolution. Its impact across all sectors of human activities can not be overemphasized from the open ledger, to secure crypto wallets, smart contract protocols and so on. The decentralization impact of blockchain has also helped the world in re-imagining tasks, value and activity distribution.

It should however be noted that as the technology is gaining traction, creating impacts and being used for problem-solving in some geographical locations of the world, the opposite is the case in some other locations possibly due to insufficient resources to support blockchain innovators, unavailability of research data shedding light on use cases and the general policy and regulation landscape of such countries.

It has been observed that there is a huge information gap in the curation of blockchain innovation in the developed nations compared to underdeveloped countries. The objective of this research is to conduct exploratory research on the blockchain use cases and innovation by startups and innovators in the Least Developed Countries in Africa. The research will eventually produce a report summarizing the blockchain innovation and solution for policy makers and partners in Africa and beyond.

Core Team

Name Role
Kayode Babarinde Executive Director, Africa Blockchain Institute, Kigali Rwanda.
Oluwaseun David ADEPOJU Research Lead, Africa Blockchain Institute, Kigali Rwanda.
Tsepang Setipa Researcher

Solution Approach

This research is exploratory qualitative research. It will combine desk research of the current ecosystem and policy situation of the selected countries with in-depth guided interviews of selected blockchain innovators and startups. The research will be broken down into batches, starting with six LDC’s in this first cycle. In the SADC region (Mozambique and Zambia), in the ECOWAS region (Gambia and Senegal) and in the EAC region (Tanzania and Ethiopia).

Survey Data Collection Plan

Senegal The Gambia Tanzania Ethiopia Mozambique Zambia
20 Document Analysis 20 Document Analysis 20 Document Analysis 20 Document Analysis 20 Document Analysis 20 Document Analysis
Interview with 20 Blockchain Innovators Interview with 20 Blockchain Innovators Interview with 20 Blockchain Innovators Interview with 20 Blockchain Innovators Interview with 20 Blockchain Innovators Interview with 20 Blockchain Innovators
Total: (120 Documents and 120 interviews).

Timeline of Research

Month/Year Task
June/2021 (i) Country Based Document Gathering and Curation (ii) Recruit Research Assistants in the six LDC’s
August/2021 Develop Interview Instrument and Validate
September/2021 Desk Review and Document Analysis
October/2021 Qualitative Interview across the six LDC’s
November/2021 (i) Report Writing (ii) Proofreading (iii) Editing (iv) Final Design
December/2021 Publish Report

Budget and Cost

Research Data Curation and Synthesis - 15,000 TONs

Travels - 10,000 TONs

Internet - 5,000 TONs

Data Entry and Consolidation - 10,000 TONs

Data Analysis - 20,000 TONs

Research and Data Aggregation, Coordination and Collation - 35,000 TONs

Miscellaneous - 5,000 TONs

Total - 100,000 TONs

Reporting Obligations

The research team shall report to the FREE TON evaluation team on the milestone and progress of the research every month end. A two-page report of the research progress shall be shared and discussed between the parties at the end of every research month up until the end of the research.

Documentation Ethical Clearance

(a) Participation Consent form will be developed and shared with all research participants before any data collection takes place.
(b) Ethics Approval will be considered and applied for in any of the six LDc’s where no form of research whatsoever can be done without getting approvals from all the necessary authorities. Research is currently being done on this and all information shall be provided in due course before the research begins in earnest.
(c) An in depth interview guide shall be developed once the research is approved and will be reviewed by all parties to ensure alignment on questions and data points.
(d) The researchers shall provide monthly one pager progress report on the progress of the report and shall be shared with the evaluation team.
(e) Any other document considered important as the research progresses shall be produced by the Lead Researcher and reviewed by the core research team before use.

Protocols

The research team shall conduct themselves to the highest level of professionalism before and during the research and there shall be no corner cutting and hoodwinking whatsoever. All the boxes will be ticked and all the protocols of conducting research in the countries of focus shall be observed to the letters.

Wallet Address:
0:e0fa3b0744fda0c86be530b07c44df784e055fe3927ba42a7a4429a2fb27fd91

2 Likes

Partnership Proposal from Africa Blockchain Institute - Cover note

Africa Blockchain Institute (ABI) has already proved itself as a solid partner of Free TON with the partnership around a series of Hackathons in 2021 in Africa dedicated to mastering TON technology and devilling use cases on top of that.
We at Free TON now have a great opportunity together with ABI to get attention of the UN Technology Bank (UNTB) with our ecosystem. UNTB is a United Nations agency created to help bridge technology gap between the 47 least developed countries (LDCs) and the developed world. UNTB is looking at the blockchain as one of the potential technologies to advance on that mission.
The idea is to propose a collaboration roadmap to UNTB split in three phases.

Phase 1. Get attention of UNTB
The idea is outlined in details in the attached proposal from ABI. They would lead conducting research on a state of blockchain ecosystem in 6 LDCs in Africa - policy, penetration, teams/startups that are active in the space. That research alone would be useful for the Free TON ecosystem as ABI would invite identified startups in those countries to the next wave of joint hackaton with Free TON in summer 2021. The final report would also be delivered to UNTB to trigger their interest to openly participate in phase 2.
The token ask for this phase by ABI is very modest at 100k tons and a breakdown of costs is detailed in the attached proposal.

Phase 2. Joint research with UNTB
Subject to UNTB interest to engage in the program the next phase would be to expand the scope of phase 1 research from the initial 6 to another 28 LDCs in Africa. The final report on 34 LDCs in Africa would come as a UNTB report. That report is expected to get a lot of attention in those LDCs and mobilise support of the identified startups and blockchain initiatives by local governments and other relevant institutions. Needless to say that all of those startups would get certain exposure to the Free TON ecosystem and would likely become early adopters of the TON technology.
Token ask tbc later subject to the success of phase 1 and UNTB interest to engage.

Phase 3. Full-fledged partnership with UNTB
Subject to the success of phase 1 and 2, which is essentially under control of Free TON and ABI we are likely to significantly expand collaboration with UNTB. It could include their support of multiple use cases in the 34 LDCs in Africa around voting, land/real estate ownership, healthcare, DeFi, NFT and other relevant areas. Particular ideas and priorities would emerge from phases 1 and 2.
Token ask tbc later subject to the success and learning form phases 1-2.

The «big picture» idea is to: (1) help UNTB with their mission in LDCs and (2) well position Free TON to get a massive first mover advantage in the blockchain space in 34 LDCs in Africa and delver real life use cases in those countries, leveraging startups identified during the research.

3 Likes

Well… I mean… how to explain. I understand the logic and the idea is very good. The problem is that once again, as with many other examples of proposals on this forum, this does not fit into the 2 frameworks we have for acquiring tokens. It’s not a contest. It’s not a partnership proposal.

A partnership is when the partner already has everything he needs and the organization operates on its own money, and then feels that what they already have working can benefit them and Free TON by joining together toward a purpose that results in on-chain use cases for the network.

In essence I guess what I’m saying is that this is an appeal for funding. Free TON doesn’t do that. There is no funding from the blockchain. Items like travel and internet cannot become concerns of Free TON. Those are your internal expenses and unfortunately we simply cannot subsidize such things.

Additionally, analyzing documents similarly cannot be the concern of the network nor can the network pay for it. As described above, Free TON is likewise not an employer that pays for work, which is what analyzing documents is. Once again, this too can only be your internal task and at your expense. Same goes for data entry, etc. Those all describe some kind of work/employment.

I do however sincerely hope you find a way to rework this into an actual partnership… or maybe even some kind of a contest? Not really sure how to make it a contest, but at any rate, I do hope to see this become workable. Those are the only 2 options I’m afraid.

Thank you though. This does look really interesting and positive.

6 Likes

Folks, please. It appears that so many people are asking for money from Free TON, for example, we’ll make a Facebook account. It would cost 2 to 3 grands to create an account on Free TON or Instagram… so we need you to pay money for that. What about posting something there later? 1 picture for 200 dollars?
Dear folks, we are not Cristiano Ronaldo or Leo Messi whom people have to pay to post anything on their Instagram.

It is a mystery. Whatever people do for free in their real lives becomes some real expensive request that cannot be taken care of without paying some insane amount of money. I mean, how the heck could we have lived our lives so far if every single one of those activities required so much money?

Free TON is not where you got a job. They wouldn’t pay for your electricity bill or automobile insurance or rent… Suddenly something comes up to my mind, if I have to open this forum on my computer, I need to pay for the electricity to use it, or recharge it… it’s 2,000 dollars to do that on Free TON’s world… if there is a Free TON burger, it would be 5,000 dollars for a burger! You wanna add some vegetables and beverage? Pay 500 more dollars!

Why not I would ask Free TON to pay for my breathing because I may do something helpful for Free TON as long as I am alive? They must pay for the amount of AIR that comes and goes in and out of my body because I will add some value to the network? Oh, they should pay for my food too. Food is important.

All right, let’s cut the crap and get back to the real world where that does not happen even if you say you just turned on your computer to save the whole world. Let’s simply NOT ask money for something that doesn’t have anything to do with Free TON.

Guys, if you still wanna do that, it’s decentralized. Go open a Free TON Bank or Bank of Free TON somewhere. Nobody will stop you.

Judging by your proposal, you have nothing to offer (no media support, no audience) and you are looking for a sponsor to finance your research.

In my opinion, at the initial stage of development, Free Ton distributed tokens rashly, there was no normal partner analytics, KPI definition.
That is why such proposals often appear: people come here hoping that Free Ton gives grants and it’s a sponsor with unlimited cash bags.

Is this your profile on LinkedIn?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kayodebabarinde/

## About

Kayode Babarinde MSc. obtained his Masters in Entrepreneurship Education, from Centre for Entrepreneurship & Innovation, University of Ibadan. He has worked in Non Profit Sector, and as Programs Officer, at the Centre for Organizational and Professional Ethics (COPE Africa). Currently, he is the Executive Director, at Africa Blockchain Institute, a Pan Africa Institute, that is building Blockchain capacity in Africa for the Fourth Industrial Revolution. He has expertise in Blockchain Technology, Digital Transformation Policy, and Business Management.

Kayode is also the Lead Partner of KAYBABS Consult, a leading technology firm with innovative strategies on market entries in domesticating the adoption of Blockchain Technology in Africa. Part of the company’s clients and partners includes: PwC Nigeria, Jelurida, Humaniq, Binkabi, LUNO, Cashaa, IBM – Digital Nation Program, amongst others.

He takes genuine interest in developing the capacities of young professionals, and enthusiasts, on emerging tech, policy, business, and social impact. He has engaged over 1,000 young people from United Kingdom, Russia, United Arab Emirate, Ghana, Nigeria, Rwanda, and other countries. He also deliver trainings to multinationals and development organizations that wants to adopt Blockchain Technology for their operations.

He is a Professional Member of Government Blockchain Association (USA); a Fellow of Global Leader Experience (Common Purpose, UK); and a Mentor at Youth Empowered – Nigerian Bottling Company (NBC).

Kayode is research-active as he recently completed an academic research on the adoption of Blockchain Technology in Higher Institutions of Learning through “Campus Blockchain Hackathon,” up to National level, where the project is now adopted by the Federal Government of Nigeria through the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA).

In January 2020, Kayode was Listed as one of the Young Persons to look out for in 2020, being one of the foremost Blockchain Evangelist in Nigeria, and contributory track records on the adoption of Blockchain Technology across Africa.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/oluwaseun-david-adepoju-b8168984/

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tsepangsetipa/

About

Im an Entrepreneur who is a big blockchain technology enthusiast. Im particulary interested in the future and impact of blockchain technology in Sub-Saharan Africa. I have a huge interest in the future of education and skills development with specific focus on E-Learning and digital innovation in Africa. My strengths are in business development, fundraising, marketing and communications, organisational strategy, innovation management, project and programme management. Im a firm believer in the future potential of Africa and African based technology solutions for different markets.

Your comments are too harsh, you better ask for clarification or just do a thumbs down. His idea might be ideal but explanation not proper. Here you have killed morale and a project which is not supposed to be the case. There are a lot to say about you also but I choose to stick to principle of analyzing projects not people.

1 Like

I would rather not say much. A lot of Africa is unknown (by ourselves Africans, and more so even by the harshest critics of this author). Africa has more crypto enthusiasts per individual as compared to the rest of the world. None of them are serious blockchain developers yet (but they are coming up), but all of them are potential blockchain consumers for whoever approaches them with a proper product. A lot of them are in multiple platforms. Someone needs to collect this kind of data for the benefit of Free TON. Hope Mr Kayode and Team will work around the criticism and suggestions and come up with a good proposal.

1 Like

Our motivation is not funds but to assist the missing Africa onboard FreeTON. With or without funds we intend to carry out that mandate as a service to the community.

The major focus, and the bigger picture here is the usefulness of the Research itself. It has been observed that there is a huge information gap in the curation of blockchain innovation in the developed nations compared to underdeveloped countries. The objective of this research is to attract the attention of UNTB by conducting exploratory research on the blockchain use cases and innovation by startups and innovators in the Least Developed Countries in Africa. The research will eventually produce a report summarizing the blockchain innovation and solution for partners in Africa and beyond.

In Africa alone, we have over 30 LDC’s, with great potential of adopting FreeTON in all ways…with combined population of over 800 Million people to 1 Billion people. This market size is too beneficial for the FreeTON community to miss this huge opportunity of adoption.

Certainly, there is will be Mass Publicity (in all forms) of this Research as it further reinstates the advantages of FreeTON. Also, beyond the Research is to engage in a Contest that will lead to the full-fledge partnership with the UNTB in positioning Free TON to get a massive first mover advantage in the blockchain space in 34 LDCs in Africa and deliver real life use cases in those countries, leveraging startups identified during the research.

This project is beneficial to the continent and the Free Ton fraternity. The only anormally I see here is being published under partnerships. Let’s move it to contests somehow and have the community respond there.
Thanks Kayode for the explanation, its a great initiative .

This is a very good initiative as regard to crypto in Africa in my opinion. Instead of criticism, let’s find way to make it work.