Free TON

Contest: Crystal Wallet Design Improvement #1

Hello! My name is Maxim. I work as a Lead Product Designer in Broxus.
Let me propose the initiative that I believe will be very useful to the entire community.

Contest dates

Warm-up period: 9-11 October 2020
Submission period: 12-25 October 2020

Short description

Improve the design of the Crystal Wallet to support multiple currencies (tokens).

Motivation

Crystal Wallet is the fork of the original Gram Wallet created by the Telegram team.

Broxus engineers have ported it to support FreeTON and TON Crystal, and many of you have already enjoyed it.

Now it’s time for the next big improvement: support of multiple tokens and currencies to be created on top of FreeTON. Right now, Crystal Wallet supports few experimental tokens developed for the demonstration of the interblockchain bridge between Ethereum and FreeTON, and the design is, well, ok.

But we want it to be fascinating and the most convenient ever. That is why we propose to run a series of design and implementation contests to turn Crystal Wallet not only into a truly community-backed wallet but also to make it as convenient and secure, as only a few commercial products are.

Features to be covered

• Add/remove a token from the wallet interface (reco: inspire by Metamask and MyEtherWallet)
    • Token discovery by contract address and ticker
    • Confirmation dialogs
  • Select specific token wallet
  • Token contract lookup
  • Transactions history with filters
  • Transaction details, including gas paid
  • Wallet dashboard
    • Token wallets balances
    • Equivalent value in other currency (e.g., USD and BTC)

General requirements

What we expect to see in your submission

• The link to the Figma prototype (or any other web prototyping system, e.g. Overflow)
  • Link to the user journey map between different elements provided in the prototype (preferably in Draw.io or Miro)
  • Name and contact information of the contestant for communication (Telegram username, e-mail)

Your work and the proposed solution must be

• Original. It should not include more than 10% of other contestants’ works;
  • Implementable. Keep in mind the best practices of interface designs;
  • Consistent. It should not ruin the current wallet interface and be consistent with it;
  • Modern. Inspire by FreeTON and Telegram brand books.

Evaluation criteria and winning conditions

Hard criteria

• All the features set above are implemented
  • Your work should include screens in all popular resolutions:
    • Desktop: 1920x1080, 1280x800, 1024x768
    • Mobile: 360x640, 375x667, 414x736
  • The proposed design is consistent with the current one and uses FreeTON or Telegram brand book
  • The provided design should be published under the GPL3 license with the obligatory indication of it in the forum

Soft criteria

• Detailed and easily understandable user journey;
  • Readiness to participate in the implementation.

Rewards

1 place……………………….…25,000 TONs

2 place……………………….……15,000 TONs

3 place………….…………………5,000 TONs

4-10 place…………………………1,000 TONs

Voting

• Jury members who vote in this contest must have a solid understanding of modern UX/UI. Those jurors who don’t, should not vote or choose “Abstain.”
  • Jurors whose team(s) intend to participate in this contest by providing submissions lose their right to vote in this contest.
  • Each juror will vote by rating each submission on a scale of 1 to 10 or can choose to reject it if it does not meet requirements or choose to abstain from voting if they feel unqualified to judge.
  • Jurors will provide feedback on your submissions.
  • The Jury will reject duplicate, sub-par, incomplete, or inappropriate submissions.

Jury rewards

An amount equal to 5% of the prize fund will be divided equitably between all jurors who vote and provide feedback based on their votes’ quantity and quality. Both voting and feedback are mandatory to collect this reward.

Procedural reminders to all contestants

• Proper publication. All submissions should be published on the FreeTON forum under the topic with the discussion of the according contest, and at the governance platform located at gov.freeton.org to be considered valid submissions.
  • Accessibility. All submissions must be accessible for the Jury to open and view, so please double-check your submission. If the submission is inaccessible or does not fit the criteria described, jurors may reject the submission.
  • Timing. Contestants must submit their work before the closing of the filing of applications. If not submitted on time, the submission will not count.
  • Contact information. All submissions must contain the contestant’s contact information, preferably a Telegram username by which jurors can verify that the submission belongs to the individual who submitted it. If not, jurors may reject your submission.
  • Content. The content published in the forum and the provided PDF file should not differ, except for formatting. Otherwise, jurors may reject the submission.
  • Well-formed links. If your submission has links to the work performed, the content of those links must have the contestant’s contact details, preferably a Telegram username, so jurors can match it and verify whom the work belongs. If not, jurors may reject your submission.
  • Multiple submissions.
    • Each contestant has the right to provide several submissions if they contain different approaches to the contest problem’s solving. However, if works are not unique enough or differ just in insignificant details, jurors may reject such repeating submissions.
    • If the contestant wants to make an additional submission that overrides the one previously published, he must inform the Jury about this fact and indicate the correct revision to assess. In this case, only the indicated work will count. If the contestant hasn’t indicated the updated submission as the correct one, only the first one will count, the Jury will reject all the others.

Disclaimer

Anyone can participate, but Free TON cannot distribute Tons to US citizens or US entities.

13 Likes

Fantastic initiative! I think it’s overdue. I also think we need more contests similar to this one. Very important for the network.

8 Likes

Fine and clear description, fully agree and support contest.

2 Likes

Much better description, Im interesting in participating.
But there are much more works to be done than in the contest for landing. There was an awards from 1 to 20 place, and without a responsiveness and user flows :smile:

Lets see prizepool for landing ( just simple 1 page :smile:)

1st prize……………………… 50,000 Tons
from 2 to 10th place………. 15,000 Tons each
from 11 to 20th place………. 5,000 Tons each

Here:
1 place……………………….…25,000 TONs
2 place……………………….……15,000 TONs
3 place………….…………………5,000 TONs
4-10 place…………………………1,000 TONs

Im agree, this position/prizes looks more real then on landing, but I see big difference in this pools

upd. realized that it was for another wallet, so it’s prizepool maybe okay

3 Likes

Good afternoon!
Design evaluations are subjective. The experience of past design competitions shows that the jury may not be good enough at evaluating the design. I don’t make any complaints about the refereeing.

However, to reduce the risk of erroneous judging, I suggest not allocating first, second, and third places, but instead dividing the awards as follows:
1st-3rd place: 15,000 TON;
4th-7th place: 10,000 TON;
8th-12th place: 5,000 TON.

This distribution of awards, in addition to the above, will give a greater flow of quality work

2 Likes

Hello. Interface skin? To have a choice? Classic, 2, 3 and beyond.

Only design? Not working app?

The provided design should be published under the GPL3 license with the obligatory indication of it in the forum , можно объяснить этот пункт??

Нужно делать разные дизайны для ios и андроид? Или делать унифицированную версию без привязки к определенному интерфейсу?

Good point, and I think it should be considered for future contests, but this one has already been approved and it is not possible now to change the prize fund :man_shrugging:

1 Like

К сожалению это очень сложная работа, причем сделать в такой срок способна только команда. Увы массовой подачи не будет, макс 3-4 варианта. Делать будут только те команды дизайнеров, которые уже здесь есть. При большем кол-ве призовых, можно было бы заказать работу и привлечь новых талантливых людей, к сожалению бесплатно они не работают.

Unfortunately, this is a very difficult job, and only a team can do it in such a period. Alas, there will be no mass submission, max 3-4 options. Only those design teams that are already here will do it. With a larger number of prize money, it would be possible to order work and attract new talented people, unfortunately they do not work for free.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a contest for design, there will be a separate contest for implementation, as all the layout is written in C++ and requires specific skills

Just put into your submission a phrase: “This design is published under the GPL3 license.”

Да, всё верно. Необходим дизайн для приложений на платформах:

• Desktop (MacOS, Windows, Linux)
  • iOS
  • Android

LOL!!!
So you basically want a UI for both mobile & desktop (3 different sizes for each!!!) and set a 12 days period, a journey map and the funniest part, just 25,000 TONs for the winner!!!
You’re either joking or you don’t know how it works. It’s funny though!!!

4 Likes

I asked friends of designers working on large projects with a team, they told me a period of 3 weeks to complete. is there definitely no mistake in accepting such a competition?

All the people I showed the contest conditions to were also very surprised. Maybe there was a mistake after all? It can’t be that the demand for the proposed reward was so incompetently formed, taking into account the time frame.

1 Like

Can you clarify this?

2 Likes

Create a proposal to increase your application deadline.

2 Likes

There’s just 2 possible scenarios here:

1-This contest has been started by a person who knows nothing about UI design.
2-This contest has been started by a designer who has made his work ready & don’t want to give other participants enough time. (there’s a high chance that he will submit his work under another username).

8 Likes