Free TON

Contest proposal: Creating a Random Numbers Generator for Free TON environment

The service has a limit on daily generation. 1,000,000 bits / day. The limit can be increased for an additional fee. In my opinion, in this case, you need your own RNG.

Look. How many blocks in Free TON have hash available.

For testing in Ethereum use Ropsten. Ropsten has the same code like Ethereum. Assets gets for free. What model will be used for RNG tests in Free TON.

Any verification should be based on the creation of conditions under which any manipulation is not worth the undertake. … if there are judges, a deposit is set for them the % of the award amount. For distribution - disclosing schemes are better without stopping the work of the algorithm. The last sender will then have no advantage. The problem, however, is the speed, which is generally displayed in the contest conditions. As far as I remember, Ledger for Oraclize and Randao++ we’re working in this direction

1 Like

Cloudflare launched the League of Entropy (https://developers.cloudflare.com/randomness-beacon/), a five-server grid that will generate random numbers that are accessible to everyone and safely.

A new system of this kind is “a global network of servers generating randomness, which ensures that even if several servers go down, the beacon will continue to generate new numbers using the servers remaining online.

Even if one or two servers or their sources of entropy are compromised, the rest will still guarantee complete unpredictability and impartiality of the jointly produced entropy.

League of Entropy runs on five servers from five organizations - CloudFlare, University of Chile (UChile), Polytechnic Federal of Lausanne (EPFL), Kudelski Security and Protocol Labs - using a variety of sources of randomness, from lava lamps to seismic shocks.

The service can be used in lotteries, for auditing election campaigns, in blockchains, as well as for ordinary users who need a truly random and unique password.

Do you plan to cooperate with the Entropy League in the future?

3 Likes

Of course, one should not reject indiscriminately any opportunities for obtaining a high-quality RNG, however, such an approach goes against the ideology of decentralization of the blockchain in general and Free TON in particular.

It looks like the requirements are for regular non-blockchain RNGs. Blockchains have their own specifics, for example, determinism, so conventional RNGs are not suitable.

Or do you propose to create an external RNG service? In this case, it looks like a centralized solution.

In general, the conditions of the contest are not clear for me, for example, at what level it is proposed to implement the RNG?
Also, the size of the prizes looks very high.

Will the created RNG be checked in a specialized company?

For example, the PokcerStars RNG is checked by a special consulting firm for the safety and quality of software - CIgital. It has been around since 1993, with headquarters are located in Washington DC.

Clgital issued PokerStars a certificate confirming that the software of this poker room fully complies with the requirements for generating random numbers and they are not predictable when shuffling and dealing cards.

Сheck any time. This is a separate competition and conditions.

I think it’s not just that they did not determine the level of RNG implementation. It was specifically determined that it would be used for Free TON blockchain. The difficulty level of the task is high and therefore the task was given to community for creativity. By principle, any approach is good, but the best solutions will be chosen.

1 Like

Why just do not use mart-contract with commit-reveal scheme?

Randao is working in this direction. One of the problems is the validity of a random number.

The last to receive a secret number may refuse to disclose its meaning. As a result, the protocol will not close and all participants will remain with nothing.

RanDAO has an honest minority. The principle of public secret exchange is an honest majority. It’s been working for a long time. In addition, during utility disclosure

consideration should be given to non-manipulative measures. Again, the problem of speed when solving vulnerability problems arises.

It’s cool to randomize, but it’s not 1-2-3 sort of stuff.

IMO, the requirements to the RNG contest are poorly designed: there are several specific criteria, some of which maybe are included in NIST, or maybe the NIST is not suitable for decentralized case, I’m not totally sure, but having the fact that there are industry standards, it’s strange to require a fixed list of tests in requirements.

Don’t sure if there are some best practices on RNG implementation or this is still in a research phase.
Anyways, randomness is a complicated theoretical problem: it covers a lot of Number Theory non-trivial concepts, as well as applied statistics practices to find and test number generation approaches.
I would say this task is sort of “ZK-SNARK type of complexity”, especially in the context of a trustless distributed environment.

such complicated stuff should start from the common ground. we may start with a design contest here
Also, I think the proposal lacks the motivation part which explains the use-case for stplab.ru and possible outcomes for Free TON

My point is that RNG mostly serve the application layer, but the proposal lacks use-cases
Also, I think that we can discuss this contest in one of the dev-related SG groups

1 Like

Is an RSA random approach similar to Ride on Waves applicable?

NB. If I correctly understod, Ride on Waves this a bet game. The oracle uses an external source to generate random numbers. It puts an RGN signature in a given period of time. Smart-contract checks the validity and determines the result. Applicable solution. This is something to build on.

1.What do 1-2-3 have to do with it and and even 5 is the answer to the Kek’s question. Random is one of the possible options. Approaches to the solution are not limited or constrained by the framework of design, algorithms, use case, etc. In addition to the mentioned NIST, as one of a number of statistical tests, there are also other methods and approaches to evaluation when testing pseudorandom sequences. The main thing is that the methods and evaluation criteria announced by the contestants are clear and verifiable. With all due respect to the US Institute of Standards and Technology and their NIST methodology for checking GFSF, in my opinion it includes 12 tests from 0 and 1 ratio test in the generated sequence to the LZO compression test. (The Frequency (Monobit) Test, The Binary Matrix Rank Test, The Overlapping Template Matching Test, and so on). There are other methods, in my opinion, more suitable in the matter of solving the task. And there are no fixed tests in the requirements for the competition at all.
2. Proposals and interim implementations of solving the problem of creating in general an “ideal” RNG and in particular RNG for the blockchain are enough. Many qualified teams with different and more or less successful implementations are working on the complex problem of RNG blockchain. The task is not trivial, so the prize is appropriate. Common positions are, no matter how banal, known and generally used methods of random process theory. The creation of the platform for further development of a community-accepted strategy, starting from design, is a long and expensive process.
3. The requirements also do not specify the level of application of the implementation proposed by the contestants. Let the solution be aplicible. The main thing is to provide 3 main criteria declared in the purpose of the competition. If someone manages to apply and implement new ideas and approaches to creating a RNG, for Free TON this will be an outstanding result. There are thoughts on which side to approach the solution of the problem unite with those who are not interested as you. Any actions leading to the creation of RNG for Free TON are welcom :grinning:

1 Like

Fine!

You mentioned that the whole process is expensive and it needs design and series of implementation iterations.

We have a group called Development Experience - it perfectly fits this type of task. I would really like if you guys show up at https://t.me/freeton_dev_exp channel and participate in nearest contests we are going to hold.

I believe this is good entrypoint for such a person with attention to details.

Then some time , the refined dRNG Design Contest Proposal will born and we proceed with execution

2 Likes