TON Improvement Proposal (or TIP) for “slashing condition” specifications.
Starts: 3 August, 2020 at 01:00 PM UTC, Ends: 23 August, 2020 at 24:00 PM UTC
Slashing conditions for non-performing validator nodes were not fully implemented in TON. The fisherman code was developed, but no scripts yet were developed to use it.
Without balanced slashing, validators can ignore their obligations or perform with poor quality.
Free TON is aiming to implement slashing for stakes of non-performing validators in order to stimulate better validation quality and to guarantee network performance.
We would like to analyze the experience of existing PoS blockchains facing similar challenges and come up with an optimal solution based on inherited Free TON architecture
As such it should meet the following requirements:
- Be based on analysis of experience and attacks.
- The honest and performing validator should not be slashed (criteria calculation for the honesty and performance should be provided)
- Use existing Free TON Consensus rules
- Automate the slashing decision process on chain
- Automation for the slashing conditions for masterchain as well as shardchain should be proposed
- The description should be in clear technical language and sufficiently easy to understand
- Need not to interfere with network performance
- Slashing economics should be discussed
- Slashing decision making process:
- should be automated
- must be based on objective criteria
- should not depend on any validator’s desire or opportunity to vote
Participants should provide:
A technical description – a TON Improvement Proposal (or TIP) for design and implementation of the slashing condition mechanism.
- Formal proofs are a plus
- Analysis of experiences and plans from existing PoS blockchains facing similar challenges (such as Cosmos, Polkadot, Near, Solana, Tezos, Cardano) is a plus
- Slashing smart contract designs are not part of this contest and may not be provided
- Add a short abstract in the beginning, before the primary body text of the submission.
- Please try to stick to a font that is easy to read, preferably size 12. No Times New Roman please.
- Illustrations, including charts and/or other visual aids are always a plus.
Evaluation criteria and winning conditions:
Proposals will be judged strictly on the merit of their accuracy in addressing all requirements.
Only qualified proposals answering all the required criteria will be considered.
- The 3 top winners will receive 100,000 TONs each.
- The next 5 runners up will receive 5,000 TONs each.
- All proposals will receive juror feedback.
- Jury should be comprised of initial members and “Jury Selection Contest” winners from the community who have strong technical knowledge and experience.
- Each Jury will vote by rating each submission on a scale of 0 to 10.
- Jurors must provide short feedback on contestant submissions.
An amount equal to 5% of the sum total of all total tokens actually awarded to winners of this contest will be divided equally between all jurors who vote and provide feedback. Both voting and feedback are mandatory in order to collect this reward.